Crown gall, that’s what.
Crown gall in grapevine:
- As can be seen in the disease cycle, this bacteria is spread through propagation material.
- Caused by the bacteria, Agrobacterium vitis
- Found throughout plant and in grape roots left in soil
- Injury sites are typically location of tumor development
- Root necrosis may negatively affect vine growth
- Bacterial DNA inserted into plant genome and expressed
- Genes code for plant growth regulators, which increase cell division and enlargement.
- Leads to disorganized growth = tumors or galls